SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
FOR STOKE NEWINGTON
A project for developing a tight backland site to create a small community
of 3 houses, 4 flats, a work studio and a communal multi-purpose hall,
with shared gardens and laundry/utility facilities.
A developed scheme met a very demanding brief, looking at the possible
approaches to Energy Strategy and Sustainability including:
• Heat Pumps – Ground source, External Air or Exhaust Air
source heat pumps providing domestic hot water and underfloor heating.
• Sustainable materials, from renewable sources wherever possible.
• Photovoltaic Cells – providing the electricity to run the
• Careful design of orientation and fabric maximising the potential
for controlled solar mass/gain, along with high levels of insulation.
• Recycling of grey and rain water
• Green roofs